Tuesday, July 1, 2008

ASICS' 300 Mile Challenge

18.16 down, 281.84 to go.

That's right, only 282 miles until I finish my race. I have entered the ASICS' 300 mile challenge. "What is that?" I hear you ask... Well it is exactly what it sounds like. Basically ASICS is sponsoring a contest through www.mapmyrun.com that encourages people to get in shape. There are three challenges. 1. The cycle 300 miles in a month challenge, 2. The run 100 miles in a month challenge, 3. The walk a marathon in a month challenge. I decided to try my luck with challenge number 1. I'm pretty excited about it too since I have a new bike that is pretty lightweight and fast. It's by far the best bike that I have ever owned and I want to make it worth my money. Basically, if I complete this challenge, my bike will have cost less that 1 dollar per mile ridden on it. (The website keeps track of stuff like that)

Anyways, seeing as my commute to and from work every morning is about 1.8 miles total, if you round that to 2 miles and multiply by 5 days a week and 4 weeks a month, that comes to a total of 40 miles, leaving 260 to be ridden by me to complete the challenge. I think that I can do it. I've been reading the Lance Armstrong book which really got me interested in cycling as a sport. Not that I'm going to go out and try to become a professional cyclist or anything, but I will do more of it. Now I'm reading about Floyd Landis, the Tour de France champion who had his title stripped from him for doping allegations which he adamantly denies. It's pretty good. Look for a review of it when I finish.

Check back on the blog for updates on how far I've ridden this month. Ill try to post regularly so you can keep up on my riding. (Not that you would even want to) It's like following the Tour de France, only I will take a month and not three weeks, and I'm way slower than them, and my rides are easier, and there is only one rider, and it's not a race....I think you get the point.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Go Evan! I believe in you! :) You could even do 50 miles some Saturdays in 4 hours or so. Just go for a nice little ride around Utah Lake.