Friday, July 11, 2008

First Crash

Well, there is a first for everything, and today is the first time that I have crashed on my new bike. I'm actually kind of embarrassed by it too. You see, I'd like to say that I was soaring down a steep road when a car pulled out in front of me. I'd like to say that it was either bail on the side of the road or eat a big fat delivery truck tail pipe...But I can't. All I can say is that my stupid pedal clips were strapped on too tight.

I was out on a ride around and through BYU campus when I decided that I had better be prepared for my big bike trek tomorrow to Saratoga Springs, 25 miles each way. So I pulled off the road next to Outdoors Unlimited to pick up some spare tubes and a water bottle. As I stopped my bike on the sidewalk, I pulled my right foot out of the pedal strap and began shifting my weight to my left side. Simultaneously, I pulled my left foot out of my pedal strap and planted my foot firmly on the ground. I noticed something was wring when my weight continued to shift further and further to the left. Alas, I hadn't pulled my foot out of the pedal clasp. By then I knew I was going down, but in the 2 seconds or so before I hit, I tried unsuccessfully about 50 more times to pull my foot out. I hit the cement, foot still firmly attached to the pedal. I reached down, loosened the strap and pulled it out.

I could tell immediately that I wasn't hurt bad. I basically fell straight over on my side from a complete stop. I began to do a little self examination. Head,...check. Shoulder,...check. Wrist,...ouch! My wrist was really sore. I figured that it was just an impact injury that would go away in a few minutes. In the meantime, I went inside to transact my business. On my way out, I glanced down my leg which was covered in black grease and oil. I noticed a weird red pattern. It took me a while, but I figured out that my front two chainrings had cut my leg up pretty good. Luckily they weren't bleeding a lot. As I mounted my bike, I realized that I couldn't put any pressure on my wrist or squeeze without pain. I continued on my ride trying to decide whether to finish early or go the whole route. I was dead set on ending early, but when I got to my turn, I decided I had recovered enough to finish the whole thing. I hope that you enjoy the cool design that my chainrings left in my leg. I know I will for a few weeks...

No comments: