Saturday, July 5, 2008

Great Start, But Still Depressing,...Sort Of

Well, it's been 5 days now in the 300 mile challenge and as of right now, I have ridden 77.7 miles. That leaves me with 222.3 miles to go. Shanna and I rode up to Bridal Veil Falls on the Fourth of July, which was such a nice ride that I wanted to do it again. So I did it again today. The ride is very flat (except for the portion right next to Wymount which is very steep) and can go fairly quickly. The ride is 19.7 miles long, which added about 40 miles to my total in just 2 days. If I ever fall behind in my goal, this is a ride that I can catch up with. It is not difficult at all to do daily.

The only depressing part of my start this month is that today the Tour de France started. That's not depressing in and of itself, I actually am excited to follow the action this year. The depressing part is that today's stage was 197.5 kilometers long. That is equal to around 123 miles. So, while I've been working on my goal for 5 days now, the riders in the tour rode farther than me in one day. Not even a day. In 4 hours. Today I rode the 20 mile trail in just over an hour. That means that if I had ridden it four times for a total of just under 80 miles, the other tour riders would still be 40 miles past me. I guess it's not so much depressing as amazing how fast tour riders really are. And their Stage 1 ride involved climbing up mountains too....

No comments: