Saturday, June 5, 2010

Book Review: 1776

9773272[1]Yesterday I finished reading the book 1776 by David McCullough, which you could probably guess is about the year 1776.  I really enjoyed the book.  At first I thought that it would focus on all of the events that were taking place  in the midst of the American Revolution and development of the country.  But to my surprise, and enjoyment, the book focused only on the military trials, struggles, and successes of the Continental Army and General George Washington throughout the calendar year (and a little bit more) of 1776.  I thought it funny that the Declaration of Independence (which obviously took place in 1776) is only talked about on 2 or 3 pages out of 300.  The book picks up late in the year 1775 after the Boston Massacre, The Battle of Bunker Hill, and a few other minor skirmishes. 

One thing that I liked about this book was the information that was gleaned from personal accounts and letters written by Washington, top Generals on both sides of the war, and civilians.  I personally didn’t know about 90% of the content of this book.  The battle of Dorchester Heights, the battle of Long Island and New York, the battle of Trenton were all things I had either never learned, or long since forgotten.  Yet these events are very fascinating and are important parts of our nation’s history.  Many of the patriotic stories that we have heard since childhood come from this period and these events.

The book also sheds light not only on Washington’s strengths, but his weaknesses.  It highlights how close to complete failure the Revolution almost was.  I thought that the year 1776 would have been a very successful year for the United States, but in fact, militarily, aside from a few glimmers of hope it was hugely unsuccessful and things were looking very grim.  Washington’s indecisiveness cost the Army valuable positions, resources, and soldiers.  However, his humility, dignity, and patriotism also inspired the troops to persevere to the end.

The reason I picked up this book was because I had heard (through the grapevine) that it was good and I was interested in learning a bit more about the founding and establishment of the United States.  I thought this book was great, although I will have to read another book to get a little bit more about the non-military founding fathers who were merely mentioned in passing throughout this book.  Great book.  I recommend it.

No comments: