Monday, February 8, 2010

Book Review - Where Men Win Glory


Probably not too many people have heard of this book, Where Men Win Glory. Many of you will probably however recognize the name in the subtitle: "The Odyssey of Pat Tillman". Some will know him from football. I know that I first heard of him when he was playing linebacker at ASU. Then I knew him as a safety for the Arizona Cardinals, the professional football team of Arizona. Most who don't follow football however will recognize him for being the football player who turned down millions of dollars playing football to enlist in the Army shortly after the 9/11 attacks.

Jon Krakauer, famous for his book "Into Thin Air" about the Mt. Everest disaster, takes on the story of Pat Tillman in this recent publication (2009). It tells of Pat's background and gives a fairly good picture of the kind of person that he was. The life experiences shared do a good job of explaining why he wanted to put away football, for a few seasons, and go fight for his country. I thought that it was funny that it described many of Pat's Mormon friends who got in a big fight due to their intoxication. Some of the Mormons described weren't drunk but were planning on getting drunk. Anyways, that fight was a turning point in Pat's life.

The book also taught me many many interesting aspects of Afghanistan's history and political troubles that I had never even heard of. Things like how the CIA had given millions of dollars in cash and training to Muslim insurgents while they were fighting off a Russian invasion. This is how many of the Taliban leaders became leaders. Now we all know how these extremists feel about the US. I know probably 30 times more than I previously knew about the state of life, politics, and terror plots in Afghanistan.

The main subject of the book, however, is the death of Tillman by friendly fire, and the Army's apparent attempt to mask the truth of his death, whether intentional or unintentional. It's really sad that in war, even with modern technology and extensive training, friendly fire deaths are still a real threat to the lives of a soldier. That people must die is a sad fact, but friendly fire just seems even more depressing.

I absolutely loved this book. I could hardly put it down just because it mixed sports and interesting politics and current events. (We all know that I'm a ..... "Sports Fan". Right, Dave?) But the things I didn't like were: 1. There is a bit of swearing, because Krakauer uses lots of quotes and he's quoting soldiers. 2. He talks a lot about the government deliberately misleading the public, presenting it as if it is the "norm". I like to think that the government normally acts honestly, with dishonesty being the exception. It definitely seems that in the case of Tillman though that some misleading information was given both to the family and the public, for the purpose of selling a "good image" to the American public.

Read the book and decide for yourself.

5 comments:

Bruce said...

Sports fan!

evans said...

Oops forgot to rate it. 3 out of 3!

Kevin_Amold said...

There were things you don't like about the book, but you give it a 3 out of 3? Sounds dubious.

By the way, you continuously slurp this Krakauer guy who likes to blame religion for all the problems in the world.

evans said...

I have enjoyed the two books that I have read by him. No slurpage. And I really enjoyed the book despite the things I didn't like.

amanda said...

haha, sports fan. I also quite enjoy reading fiction and non fiction that explain the depths of middle eastern culture. very cool. maybe i'll have to read it. (like 3 cups of tea which I am still 3 chapters from finishing or a thousand splendid suns)

and isn't it interesting how we helped them before and how we would never have known it would have been like this 20 years later? I mean, back in the 70's Iran and the US were pretty good friends.