Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review: Artemis Fowl


I was hoping that this book would last a little longer than it did. I borrowed it from Rob and Lindsey for this summer since our internet usage will be a bit more limited than normal and I needed some things to entertain me besides watching stuff online. Well, I pulled the book out of its box on Sunday or Monday and I’m done with it now. Luckily I also borrowed this book’s sequel from Rob and Lindsey.

Rob warned me that the writing was a little bit elementary, and it was. But that didn’t distract from the entertaining story. I guess the juvenile quality of this book contributed to the speed with which I moved through the book.

The book is about a 12 year old named Artemis Fowl who is a genius and hatches schemes to earn money and gain power and influence. He kidnaps a fairy in hopes of extracting a large gold ransom from the fairy civilization.

I thought the story was very creative, bringing fairy tale stories to life. The most entertaining part of the book to me was how the author explained and gave evidence of the reality of Dwarfs, Goblins, Fairies, and Trolls. He attributes natural phenomenon with these fictitious civilizations.

All in all, a good, entertaining read. I give it a rating of 3 out of 4.

No comments: