Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Next Project

I have started a project this summer with the hopes of entering the final result into a competition to win an Ipod Touch. The project is that I am modeling my paintball gun in CAD. Then I will render it to make it look really slick and enter it into a visualization competition that Siemens, the company who makes the CAD system I use (NX), puts on. I haven't done much interactive CAD modeling since I took ME 172 in 2006, so I'm hoping this will help me remember some of my lost interactive CAD modeling skills. If you don't know, I do lots of CAD every day, but most of the stuff I do is writing computer programs to do what I want to do. Mainly I am posting pictures on here to show Shanna because she was wondering if I had modeled any cool parts yet.

This is the knob that controls the speed of the paintballs.

This is a guard on the back of the gun that protects the hammer.

This is the hammer that pushes the paintballs out of the barrel.

This is the barrel.

So I haven't modeled a ton of parts yet, or done much to make them look realistic, but it's coming along. Maybe I'll post more here as I go.

4 comments:

Lckevan said...

I thought you already had an IPOD touch. If you win...we wouldn't mind if you shared the prize with us!

Shanna Selin said...

Haha. Yeah, what do we need another i pod for? Maybe you can sell it and buy me something awesome.

Your pictures look great! Nice texturing.

Shirl and Bill said...

Don't know ME's NX's or CAD's but it sounds good to me.....

evans said...

ME-Mechanical Engineering
NX-The name of a computer program, like "Word" or "Internet Explorer"
CAD-Computer-Aided Design